Buying or selling a home can be stressful for all parties involved. A home is often your largest investment, so you want to ensure you’re protecting yourself from all angles. Have the right real estate agent on your side and calm your fears and act as an advocate on your behalf. But with so many great agents out there, how can you be sure who is the right fit for you?
Keep reading to discover our top 10 questions you should be asking a prospective real estate agent in Alabama.
Questions To Ask A Real Estate Agent
Whether you’re buying or selling, there are a few questions you should ask any agent you are considering working with:
- How long have you been in the industry? By asking this question, you are ensuring that they know the industry, market, and process and will protect your assets through the transaction. Ask them also to explain what trends they are seeing in your particular area- like inventory supply/demand and the average number of days homes are on the market.
- How often will we communicate? It’s important for everyone to be on the same page and for you and your agent to have matching communication styles. Establish that upfront if you prefer text messages over phone calls or emails.
- Are you a full-time or part-time agent? It’s apparent that a full-time agent will have more time dedicated to their real estate career, but a part-time agent may have a set schedule when they are available.
- What price would you recommend if I was selling in a rush vs no rush? If you’re selling, this is a good question to ask to get a picture of what an ambitious pricing strategy might look like vs a more efficient price. Unscrupulous agents may quote an astronomical (and unrealistic) price in order to win a listing, and requesting the two prices makes it more difficult to present a flashy number. Additionally, a good agent will come prepared with comps to explain how they arrive at their suggested sales price.
- How do you plan to market my property? A well-prepared agent will arrive with a documented and strategic marketing plan. This can include online advertising, print advertising, and even plans for holding open houses, photography, and staging.
- How will you market my home to other agents? Some agents may have a client looking for your specific home and just waiting for it to come on the market. It’s important that your agent markets your home to other Realtors as well. For example, this can be done through industry networking groups or an agents-only open house.
- How will my offer be presented to sellers? When purchasing a home, making an offer is a huge step! In today’s market, speed can be the name of the game. Asking them how they plan to send your offer may make or break the deal.
- How would you guide me through a potential bidding war? This can depend on the property, but discuss certain things you may add to an offer that may increase your chances, like potentially paying the seller’s closing costs or real estate fees.
- What is your availability for showings? You will have to act quickly in a hot market to view a property. You may not have time to wait until the weekend or after hours to see a home, and you want an agent who can act quickly.
- How many homes should I see before making an offer? The answer to this question can vary from buyer-buyer and property-property. There is a difference between moving quickly and rushing the process; a good agent can explain that.
The Main Takeaway
Today’s market is super competitive, and you certainly don’t want to go at it alone or with an agent that isn’t the right fit. You may have to interview more than one agent, and that’s ok! The perfect agent for your friends or family members may not be the right one for you.
Heights Title- Your Closing Partner in the Real Estate Process
When you’ve found the perfect home in the Birmingham, AL area, you may have questions about the closing process, title insurance, and what is expected of you. That’s where Heights Title comes in. Our team has years of experience and is dedicated to providing you with excellent service. Contact us today to get started!